Suggested Discussion Topics
- How do I balance teaching expectations with home life?
What do you do when you are hit with multiple new preps?
- How do you best organize a class to keep students interested and engaged, while still getting things done?
- In preparing a course, what resources (including human) do you use and how do you go about getting this support? For example, what are effective ways of engaging with past instructors of the course (i.e., going beyond the syllabus handoff)?
- What are realistic expectations for teaching-research balance in first years as a professor at a teaching-focused college?
- Perhaps slightly off topic, but what exactly are \"Lecturer\" positions? Do lecturers do research? Are they rewarded for doing research? Are they tenure track? If not, how much job security do such positions have?
- What are effective strategies for assessing your exams/assignments to make sure they are accessible, not too easy, not too hard? For instance, do you recruit (hire) past students to give the material a test drive?
- Mark Stehlik mentioned the Nifty Assignments as a resource for ideas on assignments. What are some other resources for teaching in computer science?
To add a new topic to the above list, enter your topic in the box below (1 topic per submission).
If you do not have the NER participant code, contact either Julie
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dave
Note: when you submit a topic using the correct code, the list above should be updated
immediately. Any submission using an incorrect code will be ignored.